Sunday, October 19, 2008

Karaoke Phil's Report: Fall Poker Classic Event #6, OH8

This is the 2nd year I’ve played the Fall Poker Classic’s OH8 event. Last year (2007) there were 213 entrants for this $200 + $30 event. At the time I was intrigued with OH8, but hadn’t really played much more than a handful of low buy-in tournaments. I thought I did “okay” and busted out at around 100th. The highlight of that day was then going to play some 2/4 Limit Hold ‘em, getting my first ever live straight flush and, thereby, winning a Canterbury Park baseball cap (winning the hand was nice too).

This year saw 199 entrants. Over the past year and, particularly the last 6 months, I have been working on both my HORSE and OH8 games. So, I entered the tournament feeling pretty good about my play and my chances. The tourney structure starts with 3000 chips, 30-minute blind levels and blinds at 25/50 (with betting at 50/100).

I held steady during Level 1 ending with 2950 in chips. Level 2 saw the first elimination from the tournament and I ended with 3600 chips. Level 3 was flat for me and had 3500 chips going into Level 4.

It was in Level that I made some strong moves (and got some good cards). My peak for the level was at about 6500 chips, but I took a hit on the last hand of the level (just before break) and ended with 4800. At break I counted 108 players left (the tourney clock listed 125 but they were consistently slow in recording the knock outs).

Level 5 was flat for me and I finished with 4400 chips. Level 6 was a break out level for me that carried into Level 7. I finished Level 6 with 14800 chips and Level 7 with 16000.

Level 8 nearly saw my demise. With blinds at 1000/1500 and betting at 1500/3000 I was dealt A/3/4/6 in early position with 7800 left in chips (I had taken some hits earlier). I’m first in and decide to try and trap – so I limp in. I had a fairly aggressive (and good) player immediately to my left. He raises to 3000. Only the big blind calls and were three handed (10000 in the pot). The flop comes 3/5/T with the 5/T suited in something I didn’t have. The BB checks. I didn’t want to bet out yet (knew my opponent on the left would do it). Plus, I hadn’t quite hit what I wanted yet with only two pair, a flush and possible straight draws against me and my having only 4 cards to a non-nut low. The UTG bets 1500, which was called by the big blind and myself (14500 in the pot). The turn brought a 4 (3/5/T/4 on the board) – I felt that my opponent on the left had an A/2 within his 4 cards. I figured the big blind for something less than the nuts and/or maybe a flush draw. The BB checked and I opted to check and the UTG player immediately bet out 3000. The button smooth called. I thought long and hard about whether to call or not with 3 pair and a low of A/3/4/5/6. Again, I felt he had an A/2 (now giving him the nut low and a wheel). I went through my outs – An A, 3 or 4 give me strong boats (6 of those left), and a 2 gives me a 6 high straight and a nut low chop (4 of those left). All in all that’s 10 outs. Then there is the possibility that just maybe I’m ahead (though I don’t think so). Then there’s the big blind – a loose player who could have anything but was probably chasing that flush draw. With 20500 in the pot – I called and added 3000 more – leaving me 300 chips left. The river bricked me completely when a K came out. UTG bets out 3000 again and the button calls. There are now 29500 chips in the pot (I can play for 24100 of it). I stop. I think. I think some more. I think long enough (probably 35 or 40 seconds that I’m sure everyone else at the table is thinking, “It’s 300 into a pot of 30K – CALL”). I know I’m beat – I fold and keep my 300. So, what did they have? UTG turns over A/A/2/5 for the nut low and a wheel. The Button shows 2/7/K/K – he was chasing a K-high flush that didn’t hit (and rivered a set that wasn’t good enough).

Two hands later I’m forced all-in in the big blind. I triple up to 900. I’m forced all-in the next hand in the SB and quadruple up to 3600. I sit out the next two hands (I would’ve scooped them both). A few hands after that I make a stand and more than double up and end Level 8 with 8500 in chips.

We go to break with 34 players remaining. I’m sitting in about 25th. The top 18 will get paid.

Level 9 begins with blinds at 1K/2K. I lay down both blinds to preflop raises leaving me 5500 in chips. I finally get 2/2/3/8 double suited and decide to make my stand – all the money gets in preflop with me and another player all-in versus my nemesis to the left. I lose and bust out in 27th place – 15 minutes into Level 9. I’m relatively pleased with my finish. I saw great improvement over the previous year and know I can compete. I thought overall I played a “B” grade game that would’ve been a “B+” without that Level 8 hand (had I folded on the turn and saved 3K in chips). Just a little better play and I make the money.

I go to the buffet and use my tourney comp ticket for dinner – a nice meal of mashed potatoes and gravy, great roast beef au jus, and warm cherry cobbler. It’s a good dinner, but not worth $230.

No comments: