Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Blind Me Down "Hand of the Week" - Omaha H/L

Another week has gone by and that means the answer to last weeks hand
and a brand new hand to think about. To recap please read the
previous hand of the week. We were faced with a min. raise from late
position and we called with our trip 4's in hopes that we could beat
at least the late position player. Sadly we couldn't. The cut off
took down the side pot with 7s 9s and the small blind won the main
pot with Ks 6s. Beat by 2 flushes on the river. Rivered again as my
dad would say.

Now, onto this weeks hand. We are going to mix things up a bit this
time with an Omaha H/L hand. I'm going to try and throw a non hold em
hand in every now and then for those that prefer other games. This
hand comes from a $24+2 $4000 guarantee HORSE tournament on Full
Tilt. Typically this tournament will get between 165-200 entries and
pays out to 24. We have made it into the money out of the 167 that
were signed up and the blinds are 1000/2000. We've been in the money
for about 10 minutes of play now and are down to 18 players. Our hero
is in the small blind and posts 500. We are dealt Ah Ac 4d 10c. Under
the gone (big stack at table 22,128) calls the 1000 as does seat 4
(just below average stack 13,454). It folds around to us and we have
7,220 left. Omaha is not our strongest game here and we have a short
stack, but not the shortest at the table. We decide to just call. Big
blind checks and the hand is underway with a pot of 4000 to start.
The flop comes 8c kh 2c. I'm pretty happy about this flop but
concerned about a better low at the table so I just check hoping to
check call this down and hit my nut flush. The big stack under the
gun bets a 1000 and everyone but the big blind calls. Pot is now
7000. Turn is the 2d. This card likely hurt a low draw for someone as
well as us so we check. The big stack bets 2000, seat 4 raises to
4000 and we are left with our decision. We have 5220 left and would
put us on the short stack for the tournament. We have a low draw with
the A 4 and a nut flush draw with the 2 clubs on the board. Its
possible to hit a high club and scoop the pot, hit a low non club and
take the low or hit an ace for a full house and take the high and
possible scoop as well if no one hits the low. Do we shove our chips
in now or wait for a better hand?

Listen to the podcast for our resident Omaha expert Karaoke Phil
describe what he would do and how I probably screwed this hand up
completely from the very start. Wait, that's Mark that will tell you
I screwed it up from the very start as he would NEVER get him self
into these type of situations. Anyway, until next time, enjoy all the
games poker has to offer. Even if you're bad at them.

-Blind Me Down

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As we discussed in the podcast - here's my take:

This is a decent starting hand and one that in a different position or time of the tournament you'd even three bet preflop. However, being in the SB and not a deep stack I like the blind completion. You could lead out on the flop which set up a nut flush draw and a 4 to the second nut low, but I have no problem with check/calling the flop and seeing the turn.

Our decision time comes on fourth street when another 2 hits the board. Our lead off bettor (pre and post flop) leads out again and, this time, is raised by seat 4. As I noted in podcast, I really would want to know how my opponents play. Are they A/2 raisers or limpers? My guess is that seat 4 is a limper with A/2/X/X in his hand and has now hit his trips (and perhaps a boat). Our UTG guy may have simply been leading out and trying to get people to fold but this is OH8 and he's probably got a piece or a draw to one. We are left with two pair (As and 2s) which are certainly behind. We may need to have an A to pull ahead (giving us a boat), but seat 4 has one of the two remaining Aces and UTG could, very well have the other. Maybe the flush draw is good, but that's iffy. That takes us to the low draw where we have A/2/4/8 - at best we have a 1/3 shot at half the pot, but I think the actually situation is worse. I say we drop the hand and fight on with our 5220 in a better spot, though in practice I probably do make a flat call - I would not move all-in with my 1220. I would call if the UTG re-raises as I'm now pot committed, but my gut says "fold" here.

My take on the hand wrap-up:
UTG: A/3/Q/K (with a suited Q or K in clubs for the 4 flush)
Seat 4: A/2/7/8
Action: Fold