Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Blind Me Down "Hand of the Week" - week 1

So Here's how this will go. I will post a "Hand of the Week" once a
week on Saturday and Sunday. Then during the week I would like people
to post as to what they would do in that situation. At the end of the
week I will then post what happened in the hand and we can see who
would have made the smarter play. Hopefully we can learn from this
and become better poker players. So here we go. Week 1!

The blinds are 40/80 in a $10 multi table tournament with over 400
people. I have 4250 in chips and it is the fifth level of play.
Things have been going well for the first hour. The hand gets dealt
and I look down at A K offsuit. Your in early position at a full
table 2 off the blinds. Our hero (me) raises it to 3x (240) and gets
3 callers. Seats 5, 6 and the big blind call. The board comes 10c 3s
As. Pot is now 760. I bet out 600 into a pot of 1000 and get called
by the person in seat 5 (the chip leader at the table with over 6000
in his stack). All others fold and the pot is now 2200. The turn
comes the Qs. I lead out again with a bet of 850. My goal here is to
make it look like a value bet showing him that I have something and
begging for a call. Player 5 comes over the top with a bet of 1850.
What do you do and more importantly what do you think he has?

Post your responses and check back next week for the river and results.

-Blind Me Down

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would DEFINITLY fold here. The reason is after the turn there is so much that could beat you, FLUSH, SET, maybe even TWO-PAIR A/Q. Me, personally I'd be thinking a set of 10's here. If he had A's he would have re-raised pre-flop, even Q's he would probably re-raise preflop also, If he called a 3x raise with 3's the player is a complete idiot....so i throw all those hands out. I really dont see him having a flush here especially if YOUR King is a spade. I believe with his set of 10's he smooth calls after the flop, then once the third spade comes, this is where he HAS TO act NOW so he re-raises you hoping you didnt hit your flush.

CPL Poker League said...

Hey Blind Me Down!
I need to know what suit our cards are!

CPL Director

Anonymous said...

I completely forgot to post the suits Mark. Sorry, it does add to the difficulty of figuring out what to do. We have the K of spades and the A of diamonds. So at the turn we our on the nut flush draw.

Great post nanoman. thanks for jumping in there and being the first to take a stab. Stay tuned next week for the results.

Anonymous said...

As we discussed on the podcast - I fold. Villian has K/J, a suited connector spades, Q/T or maybe, maybe, pocket 3s.

Anonymous said...

Part of you answer here is table image. Has the villian been playing aggressive all night or has he hit a couple of good hands to get him to the table leader position? Also, have you been playing super tight?

You have the nut flush draw, I would consider an all-in move. You are assuming he has his hand already and you are on a draw. He also could be on the same draw with a high spade in the hole.

If you gamble here and win, it puts you in great shape. You have enough invested in the pot that if you fold now, you become a short stack.

I take a shot at it!

Anonymous said...

I personally believe you have to call the re-raise...for an additional 1000 you are getting the right pot odds to call...plus if you hit the nut flush and the board doesn't pair...then you have the complete nuts and can shove on the river. You can also shove if the board pairs and you don't make your flush with the hopes of getting our villian to fold. I'm not a big fan of Rock the Lobster's 850 bet on the turn...not nearly enough...and Rock put us in 'no lobster' land and pretty much invited the re-raise.
I'm placing our villian on a Flush with 10-9 of spades.
If we don't get our flush or something else we can represent...we have to bail on the river.

Anonymous said...

I pretty much agree with nanoman. You'd have to take a minute after his turn bet and think "what can I beat here?" and there isn't much you can beat - other than a bluff or a hand like AJ..

Anonymous said...

If SEAT 5 was Mark, it be Js/10s

Johnny B Goode said...

A K in early position is like a small pair. check/reraise. See who is representing stength first. Too many people go gung hoe with A K. And 3Xs blind raise is going to get too many callers which gives everyone a chasing hand and fairly even odds pre flop. You hit your Aces, let her/him make the first move. She/he probably had Q 10 suited.