Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A controversial hand takes place at Rush Creek Golf

Monday night is usually reserved for the CPL Monday Madness on Full
Tilt for Mr Mike77 and Black Murano, but two of the CPLs finest
(insert laugh track here) decided to venture off to the Rush Creek
Golf Course for their second ever poker night held in the restaurant
area of the clubhouse. The tournament seated around 17 entries and we
got underway. Through a random selection of seats the CPL'ers were
seated right next to each other, Mr Mike77 seated to the left of
Black Murano. Play started and Mr MIke77 started chipping up bit by
bit and took a rather nice size pot a few hands in when he flopped
aces and queens against someone with A 6 off suit. Raised preflop and
bet on the flop the player still decided to take a stab at the hand
with a large bet on the river only to see his ace crap crushed by my
aces up.

This leads us into the controversial hand for the evening. With the
blinds still at 25/50 Black Murano raises it to 150 from early
position. Directly to his left I look down at As Ks and decide to
bump it up to 350. The table folds back around to Black Murano who
calls the additional 200 without much thought. The flop comes out Js
7c 6s and Black Murano checks. I think for a moment and put out a bet
of 450 into a pot of 775. This puts the pot total at 1225. Black
Murano instantly pushes all in. Now of course there are more then
just the cards to look at here as these two players have history.
LOTS of history at the tables. Not to mention a 5 dollar last longer
bet. But if we were to push all that aside just for a moment and look
at the cards here is what we would see. By my figuring I decide that
Black Murano has either of these hands: A J (most likely in my mind),
K J, Q J, J's, 10's or maybe 10 J (as it is such a famous hand now).
I don't put him on A's, K's or Q's as I think this may have prompted
a re-raise from him preflop. So I think to myself that my flush draw,
if I were to hit, would be good. As well as either my ace hitting or
my king hitting. This gives my a total of at least 12 outs and
possible 15. At 12 outs I'm 48% and at 15 I'm 60% to hit my hand.
There is 1225 in the pot before he moves all in. If I remember right,
it was around 2575 more that he put in making the total pot 3800.
It's 2125 for me to make the call. This puts the pot odds at around
55%. I think about all this for a while (big surprise to all I'm
sure) and try to put all the numbers together in my head as the table
gets sort of antsy for a move. In the end I decided I had the correct
odds to make this call and that it was probably all just a coin flip
for this pot that would knock Black Murano out of the tournament or
leave me with around 825 chips left to fight on. With the blinds at
25/50 I could certainly see myself getting right back into this thing
with 825 so I made the call. Black Murano flips over pocket Q's, a 5
of spades comes on the turn, I make my nut flush, the turn is a blank
and I go on as he is knocked out of the game.

All this left a bit of a sour taste in the Muranos mouth as a hand
shake wasn't even accepted as he got up from the table grumbling
about what a horrible call it was. Which leads me to the question for
everyone out in CPL land. Was it the right call to make?

As a side note, Black Murano was let back in the game a blind level
later as apparently they were allowing rebuys into this free
tournament. He was later removed once again with a string of horrible
cards after horrible cards that gave him no chance to get back into
the swing of things. Mr MIke77 went on to take second place and
lasted in a heads up match with the winner for around 20 minutes.
With the chip stacks within a thousand of each other I moved all in
with pocket 8's against A 4 and lost to a pair of aces.

For only 17 entries (and some rebuys) this tournament provided great
gifts and a lot of fun. Gift cards to Rush Creek were given away as
prizes, first place-$50, second place-$30 and third place-$20. So who
wants to go golfing now?

-Blind Me Down (Mr Mike77)

4 comments:

Karaoke Phil said...

I'd say a marginal call, but not horrible and made better due to history and fact that's free poker (using those as excuses). But, it's the type of call where, I think, feel because a large factor - do "I fee" that a spade is coming for the nut flush.

Certainly a situation to think over for a while.

Greg (BlackMurano) said...

Here is the real story!!

I get an e-mail saying Rush Creek is going to have a Tesas Hold-em night. They are giving prizes away at my favorite golf course and one of the best resturants in town. I'm thinking this will be a good oppurtunity to reel in some fish and get a nice prize out of it. So, out of the kindness of my heart, I decide to ask Mr Mike77 if he would like join me to partake in this feast.

We get there early and see there is only about 15 people signed up to play so we decide to make it interesting by adding a last longer prop bet. Play begins after the seat draw which puts Mr Mike77 immediately to my left. At the table we have a kid who already has been drinking a fair amount who starts bragging about what a great on-line player he is but he never plays live poker. A couple of quiet middle aged guys who don't seem to be big threats. A woman who is very new to the game but could be dangerous only because she is totally unpredictable. A very cute 20 something girl who works there and seems to know a liitle bit on how to play. And last we have a loose aggressive guy who will play any two cards. It didn't take more than a few hands to size up this table. I'm thinking this will be great. Mike and I can milk this to the end then play some good heads up.

After just a few hands MrMike77 get involved with the loose aggresive player on my right. The hand plays out and MrMike77 takes it down with his AA & QQ vs AA junk. This gave MrMike77 a nice chip lead early in the tournement. Now just three hands later I'm dealt the pocket ladies. It is checked around to the loose aggressive player and he limps in. I raise it up 3X which is higher than the average bet had been to this point. I wanted to isolate the loose aggresive player and take the rest of his stack.

Spoiling my plan however, Mr Mike77 decides to bump my raise with a reraise of 200 more. My target calls so I decide to stay in there. Flop shows Js 7c 6s. I still have an over pair. The fish checks, I check and Mr Mike77 makes a continuation bet of 450. He now forces my target out of the pot! I think about this and decide OK, Mike already had his big hand, it's time to share so I send him a signal to get out of this hand by going All-In. MrMike77 goes into his patented time consuming pose and I'm thinking hollywood all the way here. He even tells me he is on a draw. I start to say "if your on a draw your beat" but cut it short not wanting to say too much. MrMike77 eventually makes the call and turns up a flush draw! Why would an expierenced player risk his tourneyment early in the game with a drawing hand! I thought Mr Mike77 was smarter than that.

Well, we all know how this turns out. Mr Mike77 sucks out a spade on the river and takes me out. I am not happy!!! I was able to get back into the game short stacked but was totally card dead from that point on. MrMike77 goes on to win second place for the night and never even offered me a piece of the winnings for dumping off all my chips to him.

I'll return on July 6, the next time they do this at Rush Creek for revenge. Next time no mercy. I'll pay Mrmike77 the last longer prop bet this time but plan on recouping that on future occasions.

Anonymous said...

A bet, then a re-raise, and a call, all pre-flop. Why would you go all in with just QQ after that? You even stated the fish was calling with any two cards.
Although you did have an over pair to the board, I think the biggest mistake was made by Murano going all-in. Did he think Mike was just bluffing with his re-raise? I think this all comes down to his ego, believing everything was going to happen the way he was thinking it should. Murano was lucky to have a second entry.

I'm coming on the 6th, you are just like the guy who was calling everything. This sounds like easy money to me. As far as the CPL Monday night madness, the play is terrible and I can easily skip it.

My only question is how come MrMike could not finish? I think he made the right decision to call.

Most importantly, where was the sportsmanship? No handshake? That is just inexcusable!!!! You are a better man than that Greg.

Blind Me Down said...

Thanks for the comments. I made the call because the math made sense. Not because I felt a spade might come. Because the numbers were there. I still think it was the right play and I would have did the exact same thing at a 200 dollar buy in event at running aces.

As far as Greg making a "signal" is concerned. Sounds a bit like collusion. It also looked more like a, "I'm going to big foot you on this" type of play than a signal to me.

We had a last longer bet and I won. Someone is a little sore over losing 5 bucks. I understand. I wouldn't hesitate to make the same last longer bet next time and in fact can't wait.