Friday, August 1, 2008

Phil's Adventures at Running Aces - HPT Super Satellite

CPL Co-Director Phil Fuehrer made the trip to Running Aces on Friday morning to play in the $80 ($68 plus $10 rake plus $2 for dealers) Heartland Poker Tour Super Satellite. The top 20% of winners received entry into the $340 satellite to the main event playing there in November. There were 37 players with 3 “re-entrys” for a total of 40 players and 8 seats to the satellite being given out. Here is a partial report (you’ll need to listen to the next podcast to get the ending):

From Phil
Okay, I show up at 9:45 am (tourney starts at 10:30) and am player number 5 buying in to the tourney – guy behind the counter tells me it’ll possibly just be a single table. Eventually, there are 4 tables. I go play some Pai Glow for 35 minutes (ending up $15).

The tourney starts promptly at 10:30 am. Blinds at 25/50 and we have 5000 in chips. My strategy is to play tight/aggressive for the first 4 levels (up to blinds of 200/400 at level 4).

LEVEL 1: I receive 3 quite playable hands (based on position and table play) including A/K suited (that hits the A on the flop and K on the turn) and pocket Js. I end level 1 with about 6200 chips.

LEVEL 2: I try to play A/9s in position (and one or two other marginal hands – including 8/7s). They pretty much all miss and I end the level with about 5400 chips.

LEVEL 3: Tighten up a little this level and end with 6400 in chips – don’t remember any hands though.

LEVEL 4: The big hand in this level was A/Jo for me in MP. I had about 7500 or so in chips. I thought I had a pretty good read on a guy (he was to my right) that was first into the pot with a limp. I sensed that if he had an A (which I didn’t think he did) it was A/8 or something like that. I thought he may have had a small pair, but more likely something like J/T or 9/8. I raised which got everyone else to fold. He riffled his chips thinking through his next action and then moved all-in for about 3500 more. I insta-called and he tabled K/T suited. I don’t think either one of us hit and I took him out. I ended the level with 13700 in chips.

BREAK – There are 26 players left.

LEVEL 5: Another largely uneventful level and I ended with about 13500 or so chips.

LEVEL 6: Disaster strikes very early in level 6 (even though I told myself to tighten up even a little more since I had a good stack and there are only about 22 players left). I got cocky. Dan Akroyd (okay, not actually Dan, but a guy that seemed to Elwood Blues) came to the table to my immediate left. Folding to one MP limper (a guy that liked to play a lot of hands – loose/aggressive player with bad teeth – I’m thinking meth) and then more folds to me in the SB. I decide to limp with K/Q off. Elwood checks his option. The flop is K/7/5 two hearts. I check (I’m looking to check raise here as I figure meth boy can’t beat K/Q though he’ll bet and the BB likely can’t either). I thought Elwood would check but he bets out 4000 into a pot of 3000 (leaving himself about 3500 behind). The limper folds. I look at Elwood and his remaining stack and he says, “Yup, you can see how committed I am to the pot.” I’m thinking he has a flush draw or hit one of the cards and was pushing. I move all-in on the check-raise. Yes, he was committed to the pot and turns over K/7. I don’t improve and he wins with 2 pair to my pair of Ks. I drop to about 3500 chips.

A few hand later we’re down to 20 players and we collapse to two tables. Elwood goes to the same table I do by he’s at the other end with his 20K or so chips. I get whittled down to 1500 chips (with blinds at 500/1000) after folding my SB. I keep folding including K/3 suited in EP figuring I have 2 more hands to choose from and then the BB - “I’ll get something better,” I tell myself. I don’t. The BB comes and it’s J/6 off. There’s a raise to 4000 by Elwood and all folds. I can go heads up. I only have 500 left and I’m thinking these might be live cards. I call. He has A/Q. I hit a J while Elwood doesn’t improve and I double up. A few hands later with Elwood in the BB I get K/Q suited. I push all-in for 3000 (first into the pot). Everyone else folds to Elwood who says, “This isn’t a good hand but we gotta knock some people out.” He calls and turns over 10/6. I hits a Q and chip up to 6500. A couple hands later I move all-in with A/Q, get called and double up again. I end the level with 14500 in chips.

LEVEL 7: The missed hand?? I have pocket 9s OTB. UTG bets 3200 (blinds at 800/1600). Elwood – 2 players later – raises all-in for about 6500 (he lost that entire big stack). He gets a smooth call two players later. I’m faced with a bet, a raise and a call. It’s about 6500 to me with 16000 in the pot and I’m at about 14000 chips. I figure I’m screwed – one or both of the other players (UTG and limper will call) and one of them likely has an overpair to me. I fold. Both the other two players do call and table A/K, A/Q and 5/5. Ultimately, I would’ve lost the main pot (a K hit) but my 9s would’ve taken down the side pot.

I do take down a pot later with pocket 4s after a flop of 2/3/7 and end Level 7 with 18500 in chips. There are about 14 players left.

Listen to the Podcast to hear the conclusion to the tournament.

1 comment:

CPL Poker League said...

Way to go Phil! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story on the podcast!

Cannot even tell you how many times you go overboard with top pair and good kicker...luckily you doubled up 3 more times after being on life support!

Mark