Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Blind Me Down "Hand of the Week" - A Matrix Mess

So I left you last week with an Omaha H/L hand (see previous hand of
the week blog entry for details). Our decision was to fold and be
left the short stack, call and hope to hit or move all in and pray
everything goes our way. Being that we were in the money already, I
was playing to make it to the final table. I decided to push all my
chips in and hope to scoop a pot that would have put us to above
average chip status. So all 5220 went in when it came around to me
and this forced out the UTG who initially raised it to 1000 to start
out this round. Seat 4 obviously called and the river was a Jc. My
hands shot up and as I almost screamed with joy all the chips went in
his direction. I looked over and noticed 2 kings in his hand. The
second 2 on the turn gave him a full house, kings full of deuces. He
hit his set on the flop and never looked back. After thinking about
the hand for a while afterwards I decided that I was blinded by my
own hands draws and didn't have enough time to think about all the
different possibilities. In a live game with plenty of time to think
I may have laid this down when the second 2 came on the board. At the
end of the day, it really comes down to the fact that Omaha sucks!

This weeks hand of the week comes from a $10 Matrix game on Full
Tilt. Yes its true, I did declare 2 podcasts ago that I would never
play these again, but now I'm hooked. It's never a boring minute in
these games and I've come to love the fast paced action they provide.
So here's the setup. Our hero has made it to round 8, the 80/160
round and is still playing in all 4 matrix events. There are only 4
players left in this match which means we are sitting on the money
bubble. Everyones favorite spot. I'm sitting in seat 1, the small
blind, and look down at 7c 7s. Seat 7 (7095 chips) folds, Seat 9
(1285 chips) folds and it comes around to us. Our hero (2540 in
chips) decides to smooth call with his pocket 7's and hopefully see a
cheap flop. (Listen to the podcast and you should be hearing Mark
yell at our hero for doing something he wouldn't have done.) The BB
(2580 in chips) checks and the flop comes 3s 5s 4s. It doesn't get
too much more interesting than that. I decide to bet 160 into the pot
of 320 to see where we are at. The BB hesitates for a few seconds and
puts in a raise to 640. Our hero takes a moment and calls the 480
more. At this point we have 1740 left and the BB has 1800. The pot is
now 1600. The turn is the Kd. I decide to check and the big blind
bets out 800. We are left with a big decision here. What do you think
the BB has and what do you think we should do? We have a middle pair
to the board, a flush draw and a straight flush draw. And remember,
all the while this is happening, we are still in 3 other games
grabbing for our attention.

Check out this weeks podcast which can be found here on the blog or
on iTunes under CPL poker podcast to see what Mark and Phil decide to
do with this Matrix mess.

-Blind Me Down

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to claim victory (if I say it, then it's true - right?).

If you remember, I wrote that seat 4 "has now hit his trips (and perhaps a boat)" and to fold.

I was a little off on the cards, but right on the being way behind.

Anonymous said...

BTW - I'll need to analyze the new hand - look for that soon.

Anonymous said...

This one is easy for me - in a battle of the blinds with 7s AND being shortish stacked (less than 16 BB) I go with the "20 BB fold or all-in move". That move is for this situation (battle of the blinds) and states: if you have 20 or fewer BB left you either fold or shove all-in. And, on the money bubble it's an even easier call - I shove pre-flop with a decent heads up hand and look for the BB to fold.

Okay, you didn't and bet out on the flop only to be reraised - I reraise all-in here as well and hope for the best.

Okay, you didn't and the turn brings the overcard (Kd) and a half pot bet of 800 from the BB into the 1600 pot. We might be ahead, but there's just too darn much that could have us (a flush, two pair, a straight - even a straight flush). I would've been all-in preflop, but the way this has played out I have to fold.

The BB has bet 800 of his last 1800hundred - he's not going anywhere. Fold now and I have 1740 left (10+ BB).

I can then start to look for hands to push all-in preflop. Plus, seat 9 will need to make a move before we need to (having 450 fewer chips).

My take on the hand wrap-up:
BB: No real idea - this guy could have anything from the nuts to bluffing with a pair of fives, but I think we're most likely dead.

Action: Would've pushed all-in preflop but we didn't so fold here and fight on with 1740 in chips.